Saturday, August 8, 2009

Against Me! - The Original Cowboy


A collection of demos recorded before As The Eternal Cowboy, The Original Cowboy caught my attention because I'm a geek for demos, I find them much more alluring, energetic and raw than the "real" versions of the song.

I've never been a big Against Me fan, I liked the raw acoustic solo recordings that were their early releases, but I lost interest when he brought in a full band, much in the vein of my losing interest in Dashboard Confessional. So I've never heard the album on which these songs were "originally" released on. But I do believe that this is a better version of those songs are on, as it is most definitely not "demo" sounding, these are polished recordings that have the energy and rawness of a band playing a live show. I wish AM! had this much energy live, alas, they don't.

With a somewhat short run time of just over 22 minutes, and 8 tracks, this could have made an amazing EP instead of being reduced to "demo" status.

I highly recommend this record to anyone who like high-energy punk rock, regardless of their opinions of Against Me! You may be suprised. I know I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment